Family Relationships, Dialogue, and Philosophy for Children:
Words for Contemporary Education
The paper deals with the importance of words and dialogue in family education. In the first part, some evidence of an action research is presented – shaped in a hermeneutic phenomenological framework and thanks to the Philosophy for Children method and materials. Then some key words are pointed out, meant as formative goals for parents’ educational support, so as to highlight the importance of dialogue among generations and, mainly, of the ethical responsibility of parents in education.
Agrey, G. L. (2014). Opportunities and possibilities: Philosophical hermeneutics and the educational researcher. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 4, 396–402.
Bellingreri, A. (2011). Pedagogia dell’attenzione. Brescia: La Scuola.
Brinkmann, M. (2015). Repetition and transformation in learning. In A. Laros, T. Fuhr, & E. W. Taylor (Eds.), Transformative learning meets Bildung: An international exchange (pp. 73–83). Rotterdam–Boston–Taipei: Sense Publications.
Bruzzone, D. (2012). Lo sguardo fenomenologico e l’enigma della formazione. Milan: FrancoAngeli.
Bulndell, B. (2010). Paul Ricoeur between theology and philosophy: Detour and return. Indiana: Indiana University Press.
D’Addelfio, G., & Vinciguerra, M. (2020). Affetività ed etica nelle relazioni educative familiari. Percorsi con la Philosophy for Children and Community. Milan: FrancoAngeli.
Dahlberg, K. (2006). The essence of the essence: The search for meaning structures in phenomenological analysis of lifeworld phenomena. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being, 1, 11–19.
Dall’Alba, G. (2010). Exploring education through phenomenology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
Drummond, J., & Embree, L. (Eds.). Phenomenological approaches to moral rhilosophy: A handbook. Dordrecht: Springer.
Elias, J. L., & Merriam, S. B. (2005). Philosophical foundation of adult education. Malabar, FL: Krieger.
Friesen, N., Henrikson, C., & Saevi, T. (Eds.). (2012). Hermeneutic phenomenology in education: Method and practice. Rotterdam–Boston–Taipei: Sense Publications.
Gauchet, M. (2004). Rédefinition des âges de la vie. Le débat, 49, 27–44.
Husserl, E. (1950). Die idee der phanomenologie. Fünf vorlesungen. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff.
Husserl, E. (2004). Einleitung in die Ethik. Vorlesungen sommersemester (1920–1924) (E. Peuckner, Ed.). Dordrecht: Kluwer. (= Hua XXXVII).
Lacroix, M. (2001). Le culte de l’emotion. Paris: Flammarion.
Lenoci, M. (1992). Oggettivismo etico e intuizione emozionale dei valori. In G. Dalle Fratte (Ed.), Fine e valore. Per una giustificazione dei fondamenti etici della pedagogia (pp. 41–76). Rome: Armando Editore.
Lipman, M. (1981a). Kio e Gus. New York: IACP.
Lipman, M. (1981b). Pixie. New York: IACP.
Lipman, M. (1987). Elfie. New York: IACP.
Lipman, M. (1988). Philosophy goes to school. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
Lipman, M. (1991). Thinking in education. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Lipman, M. (1997). Thinking in community. Inquiry: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines. 16, 6–21.
McKenzie, L. (1991). Adult education and worldview construction. Malabar, FL: Krieger.
Mendoca, D., & Costa-Carvalho, M. (2019). The richness of questions in philosophy for children. Childhood & Philosophy, 15, 1–21.
Montague, M. (2018). The logic, intentionality, and phenomenology of emotion. Philosophical Studies, 2, 171–192.
Moran, D., & Parker K. B. (2015). Resurrecting phenomenological movement. Studia Phaenomenologica, XV, 11–24.
Mortari, L., & Tarozzi, M. (Eds.). (2010). Phenomenology and human research today. Bucarest: ZetaBook.
Philipps, A. (1999). Saying no: Why it’s important for you and your child. New York: Faber and Faber.
Ricoeur, P. (1986). Du texte à l’action. Essai d’hermeneutique II. Paris: Edition du Seuil.
Ricoeur, P. (1990). Soi-mȇme comme un autre [Oneself as Another]. Paris: Edition du Seuil.
Ricoeur, P. (2004). Parcours de la reconnaissance. Paris: Editions Stocks.
Rodrigo, M. J., Maiquez, M. L., & Martin-Quintana, J. C. (2010). La educación parental como recurso psicoeducativo para promover la parentalidad positiva, Federación Espaňola de Municipios y Provincias, Edición policopiada. Madrid.
Santi, M., & Oliverio, S. (2013). Educating for complex thinking through philosophical inquiry: Models, advances, and proposals for the new millennium. Naples: Liguori.
Schutz, A., & Luckmann, T. (1973). The structure of the life-world. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press.
Sharp, A. M., & Splitters, L. (1999). The doll hospital. Melbourne: Acer Press.
Sità, C. (2012). Indagare l'esperienza: l'intervista fenomenologica nella ricerca educativa. Rome: Carocci.
Smith, D. G. (1991). Hermeneutic inquiry: The hermeneutic imagination and the pedagogic text. In E. C. Short (Ed.), Forms of curriculum inquiry (pp. 187–209). New York: State University of New York Press.
Spiegelberg, H. (1971). The phenomenological movement: A historical introduction (2nd ed.). The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff.
Stanage, S. (1987). Adult education and phenomenological research: New direction for theory, practice, and research. Malabar, FL: Krieger.
Stein, E. (1994). Der Aufbau der menschlichen Person. Freiburg im Breisgau: Verlag Herder.
Suazo, R. S. (2000). Ricoeur’s hermeneutic as appropriation: A way of understanding oneself in front of the text. USC Graduate Journal, 2, 53–63.
Tattarletti, C. (2014). Et si on parlait d'éducation? Tiroirs à idées, un outil pédagogique. Retrieved from https://www.educationfamiliale.ch/fr/tiroir-a-idees-coffret-i---gps-de-leducation.html
Turgeon, W. (2015). The art and danger of the question: Its place within philosophy for children and its philosophical history. Mind Culture and Activity, 4, 284–298.
Van Manen, M. (1990). Researching lived experience: Human science for an action sensitive pedagogy. Albany: The State University of New York Press.
Van Manen, M. (2007). Phenomenology of practice. Phenomenology & Practice, 1, 11–30.
Von Hildebrand, D. (1916). Die Idee der sittlichen Handlung. Jahrbuch für Philosophie und phänomenologische Forschung, 126–251.
Von Hildebrand, D. (1922). Sittlichkeit und ethische Werterkenntnis. Eine Untersuchung über ethische Strukturprobleme. Jahrbuch für Philosophie und phänomenologische Forschung, 462–602.
Von Hildebrand, D. (1958). The role of affectivity in morality. The Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association, 85–95.
Von Hildebrand, D., (2007). The heart: An analysis of human and divine affectivity. South Bend, IN: St. Augustine’s Press. (Original work published 1965)
Welton, M. R. (1995). In defense of lifeworld: Critical perspective on adult learning. New York: State University of New York Press.
Copyright (c) 2021 Giuseppina D'Addelfio, Maria Vinciguerra
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- The Author/Authors agree(s) to publish the article free of charge in Multidisciplinary Journal of School Education in English or Spanish. The Editorial Board reserves the right to shorten the texts and change the titles.
- As part of free publication mentioned in § 1, the Author/Authors agrees to make the full electronic version of their article available in the Internet.
- The Author/Authors agrees to index their article in databases at home and abroad, including abstracts and keywords as well as Author's/Authors’ affiliation in English and in other languages. The Author/Authors agrees to pass on the information mentioned above to the owners of these databases.
- The Author/Authors declares that their publication is original and does not include borrowings from other works which might cause Publisher's responsibility, does not infringe the rights of the third party and that their copyright on this publication is not limited. The Author/Authors will incur all the costs and will pay compensations which might result from the mendacity of the following statement.
- The Author/Authors declares to bear complete responsibility for the scientific reliability of the article submitted. The detailed contribution of all co-authors is defined.
- The Author/Authors declares to publish the text in the Multidisciplinary Journal of School Education under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-ND 4.0).
- For more than one author, please complete the Authorship Contributions and send it to the editorial office. Please indicate the specific contributions made by each author (list the authors’ initials, e.g., JKH). Please download, complete, scan and attach the file in the system during the submission process.
Authors Statement - Authorship Contributions