Narrative Interviewing in Research on the Education of Talented Learners Based on the Own Previous Research
The main goal of this article is to demonstrate the significant value of using narrative interviews in research on the education of talented learners. The authors decided to highlight the value of such research in the case of a specific group of learners. However, it might prove valuable to mention the special features of that method and some challenges that can appear in such research.
The authors investigate the importance of applying narrative inquiry, especially narrative interviewing, in research on talented individuals. As for the research approach, it is embedded in qualitative methods. The authors present a retrospective secondary analysis based on their previous research into talented people’s experience of education, from an approach of both writer and reviewer.
The introduction contains an outline of the subject of the text. Then, a description of narrative interviews and of talented learners is presented. The research method is also characterized. The previous results regarding talented learners’ experience of education are presented. Finally, the research results and recommendations for research practice are provided.
The narrative interview technique proved to be a suitable method for the social sciences. It is appropriate for research on talented learners and their experiences within the educational process. Thanks to narrative interviews, researchers can reveal many important matters, such as learners’ intellectual talents and accomplishments, their relationships with themselves and other people, and some important common patterns of their functioning, such as perfectionism or non-conformism. Moreover, the research material can very rich and researchers can interpret it in very interesting ways so that the readers (educators and parents) can understand this particular group of learners and provide them with a convenient, conducive educational environment.
The final section consists of some possibilities for researchers who want to use narrative interviewing as a method of research. The authors suggest obtaining some psychological and interpretative skills and building good relationships with the narrators.
Bertaux, D. (2010). Le récit de vie, 3ème édition [The life story, 3rd edition]. Armand Colin.
Caine, V., Clandinin, D. J., & Lessard, S., (2022). Narrative inquiry: Philosophical roots. Bloomsbury Publishing PLC.
Clandinin, D. J. (2006). Narrative inquiry: A methodology for studying lived experiences. Research Studies in Music Education, 27(1), 44–54. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1321103X060270010301
Clandinin, D. J. (2007). Handbook of narrative inquiry: Mapping a methodology. Sage Publication Inc.
Denzin N.K.& Lincoln Y.S. (2017), The Sage handbook of qualitative methods, Sage Publications INC.
Elliott, J. (2005). Using narrative in social research: Qualitative and quantitative approach. Sage Publications Ltd.
Jacob, G. (2003). Wywiad narracyjny w badaniach biograficznych [Narrative interview in biographical research]. In D. Urbaniak-Zając & J. Piekarski (Eds.), Jakościowe orientacje w badaniach pedagogicznych, Studia i materiały [Qualitative orientation in pedagogical research: Studies and materials] (pp. 111–126). Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego.
Kamińska, A. (2021). Matura na 100%: Doświadczenie edukacyjne uczniów zdolnych w polskiej szkole publicznej, [Matura at 100%: Educational experience of talented students in a Polish public school]. Wydawnictwo Akademii Ignatianum, WAM.
Kubinowski, D. (2010). Jakościowe badania pedagogiczne: Filozofia, metodyka, ewaluacja. [Qualitative pedagogical research: Philosophy, methodology, evaluation]. Wydawnictwo UMCS.
Kvale, S. (2007). Doing interviews. Sage Publications Ltd.
Mertova, P., & Webster, L. (2020). Using narrative inquiry as a research method: An introduction to critical event narrative analysis in research, teaching and professional practice (2nd ed.). Routledge.
Nowak-Dziemianowicz, M. (2016). Walka o uznanie w narracjach: Jednostka i wspólnota w procesie poszukiwania tożsamości, [Fighting for recognition in narratives: An individual and a community in the process of searching for identity]. Wydawnictwo Naukowe DSW.
Rubacha, K. (2008). Metodologia badań nad edukacją. [Methodology of education research]. Wydawnictwa Akademickie i Profesjonalne.
Soroko, E. (2009). Wywoływanie autonarracji w badaniach psychologicznych: Ocena (auto)narracyjności wypowiedzi. [Inducing self-narration in psychological research: Assessment of the (auto)narrative nature of the statement]. Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu im. Adama Mickiewicza.
Wacheux, F. (1996). Méthodes Qualitatives et Recherche en Gestion. [Qualitative methods and management research]. Economica.
Wertz, F. J., Charmaz, K., McMullen, L. M., Josselson, R., Anderson, R., & McSpadden, E. (2011). Five ways of doing qualitative analysis: Phenomenological psychology, grounded theory, discourse analysis, narrative research, and intuitive inquiry. The Guilford Press.
Zamawe, F. C. (2015). The implication of using NVivo software in qualitative data analysis: Evidence-based reflections. Malawi Medical Journal. 27(1), 13–15.
Copyright (c) 2022 Olena Bocharova, Aneta Kamińska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- The Author/Authors agree(s) to publish the article free of charge in Multidisciplinary Journal of School Education in English or Spanish. The Editorial Board reserves the right to shorten the texts and change the titles.
- As part of free publication mentioned in § 1, the Author/Authors agrees to make the full electronic version of their article available in the Internet.
- The Author/Authors agrees to index their article in databases at home and abroad, including abstracts and keywords as well as Author's/Authors’ affiliation in English and in other languages. The Author/Authors agrees to pass on the information mentioned above to the owners of these databases.
- The Author/Authors declares that their publication is original and does not include borrowings from other works which might cause Publisher's responsibility, does not infringe the rights of the third party and that their copyright on this publication is not limited. The Author/Authors will incur all the costs and will pay compensations which might result from the mendacity of the following statement.
- The Author/Authors declares to bear complete responsibility for the scientific reliability of the article submitted. The detailed contribution of all co-authors is defined.
- The Author/Authors declares to publish the text in the Multidisciplinary Journal of School Education under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-ND 4.0).
- For more than one author, please complete the Authorship Contributions and send it to the editorial office. Please indicate the specific contributions made by each author (list the authors’ initials, e.g., JKH). Please download, complete, scan and attach the file in the system during the submission process.
Authors Statement - Authorship Contributions